Chasing it. . . .

 




    Years of writing in class during my students writer's workshop time had always left me wanting more. So many stories were left unfinished, and I always wondered, "What if I finished those?"

   Reading aloud my student's favorite picture books, or favorite read alouds made me think, "What if I did this?"  Somehow, in the back of my mind, I was innately drawn to these book talks, the climate they fostered, and the wonderings that followed on our classroom rug. I couldn't help but ask myself, "What if I wrote stories that interested kids, or helped them make connections in their lives?

   And as I continued to contribute to my blog my drive just sort of organically emerged, and took off. I started to not only love, but look forward to sharing. I enjoyed not just the process of writing, but also traveling back in time, recovering memories, and expressing myself.

    And so after 25 years of teaching I hung up my satchel last month.  I sit here hunting, and pecking at my keyboard nervous, but really excited to start this "new chapter."

   Sorry. I just had to.


Comments

  1. I am looking forward to retirement in 5 years and want to be established as an author. Lofty goal? Yes. But doable. We all need to have our goals. I worry, though, that without the kids to inspire me, I won't have anything to say. Good luck with this new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had same worry, Margaret. I may tutor or sub to keep garnering ideas to inspire me.

      Delete
  2. You may want to check out TeachWriteAcademy.com. We are a group of teacher/writers who gather to write and support each other. https://www.teachwriteacademy.com/feed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I was going to give the same suggestion as Marilyn - a community to support you may be just what you need (and I want to hear more about your projects).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment